Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My Favorite Drugstore Items (& some randoms)

I always stress how pro cosmetics are the way to go when working in the industry.  I stand by this 100% but, I do admit I have a few drugstore items that I use both in my kit and for personal use.  Some are great for both, some are only good for personal use.  Either way, they're probably items that you'd never think were any good just by looking at them or judging them by brand.  Here are a few items that I use:


MAYBELLINE
1. Expert Eyes 100% Oil Free AND Expert Eyes Moisturizing Eye Makeup Remover
It so happened that one time I forgot to pack my MUFE Sens'Eyes Makeup Remover for a job and I was kind of freaking out.  Remembering that on the way to the job I passed by a drugstore, I set up and excused myself for a quick 5 minutes while I ran like a bat our of hell to that drugstore.  I saw this product and with desperation I grabbed it.  Things happen for a reason because I fell in love with this makeup remover.  I even use it for more than removing eye makeup.  I remove lipstick with it too!
Use: Personal & In My Kit

2. Color Sensational Lipstain
I was curious about these lipstains because I've tried other lipstains before and have never been completely satistfied.  So in looking for a product that works for me I decided to give this a try.  Glad I did because it's awesome!  This stuff really does last!  I've put it on early in the morning, worked, talked, chew gum, drank, ate, talked some more and my lips STILL had color on them!  I like to pair it up with a tad of one of the many lipglosses I own (we'll get to that later).
Use: Personal
Colors I own: Feelin' Rosy, Cranberry Crush


3. Define-A-Line Eyeliner
A friend of mine was over and left her eyeliner behind.  I thought it was pretty interesting that she chose this as an eyeliner.  So, of course what do I do?  I test it (on the back of my hand).  I liked the smoothness of it and picked it up for myself.  I love to use it on the lash line the best and then use the smudger for a light smokey eye.  It's not waterproof but it has pretty good staying power.  I don't recommend you use it for the water line.  Because it's not waterproof, it'll bleed down to the under eye section and you'll have raccoon eyes in no time.
Use: Personal
Color I own: Ebony Black


4. Define-A-Brow Eyebrow Pencil
For my kit I use the Tarte emphasEYES brow pencil but I was looking for something more for ME.  I would be using this daily and didn't want to dish out $20 for the Tarte everytime I had to renew it.  So I pick up this little guy in hopes that it comes close to the Tarte one.  It's pretty close and totally worth it.
Use: Personal
Color I own: Dark Blonde


5. Define-A-Lash Volume Mascara
To me all mascara's are pretty much the same formula wise.  So when I buy mascara I tend to buy it because of the wand.  Yes I love that this mascara is waterproof (great for weddings) but I love the wand the most.  In fact, whenever I replenish, I keep the wand and throw the rest away.  I wash the wand thoroughly and keep it in my kit instead of buying disposable wands. I, of course have a good 4 or 5 wands I rotate and I always clean them between clients.  I feel like this wand really adds the volume it promises and it gets into those little inner corner hairs that are usually difficult to get to.  It's become my night time mascara.
Use: Personal & In My Kit
Colors I own: Very Black



COVERGIRL
1. Wetslicks Fruit Spritzers Lipgloss
I love it when I find lipglosses that aren't sticky!  One of my pet peeves is sticky, gooey and gross lipgloss that stretches out like saliva when you talk.  Gross!  Well you wont get that with the Covergirl Fruit Spritzers.  They're great alone or on top of lipstains or lipsticks.  They smell great and moisturize your lips.  Can't really go wrong with these.
Use: Personal (I don't have it in my kit but if I was ever in a situation where I needed a lipgloss, I'd use these).
Colors I own: Grape Splash, Berry Splash, Raspberry Splash

2. LashBlast Length Water Resistant Mascara
As silly as this may sound I bought this mascara because I love the ad with Drew Barrymore (the one with the 80's mesh gloves) haha!  It has become my favorite mascara of ALL TIME!  That wand is absolutely unbelievable!  Lashes looks super long and no clumping!  I keep this wand as well once I replenish the mascara.  I think I have 2 of the Maybelline ones and 4 of the CG ones.  I have to say...BUY THIS MASCARA!! 
Use: Personal & In My Kit
Colors I own: Very Black, Black Brown

3. Liquidline Blast Eyeliner
I actually recently ran into these at the drug store while picking up a lipstick for a bride.  Figured I'd try it out and possibly add it to my list of "drugstore items I love".  Well I love this.  Slides on like butter and its waterproof.  It smudges well and once settled it stays all day.  It kind of reminds me of the Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour.  I'm not a big fan of the smudger it comes with so if you want to smudge I suggest using a brush or q-tip to get the effect.
Use: Personal & In My Kit
Color I own: Brown Blaze

4. Makeup Masters 3-in-1 Sharpener
I own lots of sharpeners (I tend to lose/misplace them and then somehow find them again).  I bought this one because it's needed to sharpen the Liquidline Blast Eyeliner but I kind of ended up really loving that although it has 2 different hole sizes it sharpens up to 3 different pencil sizes.  I can sharpen my jumbo Nars velvet lip pencils as well as regular sized lip/eyeliners all with one sharpener.
Use: Personal & In My Kit


RANDOMS
1. Victoria's Secret Beauty Rush Lipgloss
Let me start by saying that I am obsessed with this lipgloss.  So obsessed that it's all I've used since I can remember.  I love that its creamy and not gooey and sticky.  Which is why when Victoria's Secret decided to discontinue the one and only flavor I liked I was depressed for a week.  Then I freaked out because I didn't know what to do!  I went to eBay and bought like 4 of the same flavor (Cocoalicious).  But, they have lots more flavors.  This lipgloss ROCKS my socks.  I just happen to love chocolate and I felt the others were to fruity for my personal taste.
Use: Personal
Flavor I own: Cocoalicious (discontinued)

2. Bath & Body Works Liplicious Seasonal Core Lipgloss
Says it right in the title...SEASONAL.  I'll be stocking up on these because believe it or not, they are the exact same texture as the VS ones!  So, while I'm not ready to replace my cocoalicious, I do feel at ease that I have found myself a secondary option.  It comes in all sorts of yummy flavors such as "Whipped Vanilla" and "Frozen Daiquiri" to name a few.
Use: Personal
Flavor I own: Cocoa Creme (just can't resist that chocolate)

3. Jesse's Girl Cosmetics Liquid Glass
A funny but not unusual thing happened for me to pick up this lipgloss.  Again, went out, switched my purse and forgot to take any of my color lipglosses with me.  So while on the way to meet my hubby for dinner, I sneaked into whatever drugstore I saw first and picked the first "sexy looking lipgloss" not really knowing if I'd like it.  Well I do!  I was amazed that I spent $3 and came out with a pretty amazing gloss.  It's all sparkly and sexy looking.  The longevity isn't that great (most glosses aren't anyway) but the color is really nice.  So if you're ever in a pinch, know that you can pick up this gloss and not be disappointed.
Use: Personal
Color I own: Idolize

2 comments:

  1. wow, great post & review! I second the Maybelline Eyemakeup remover. I've tried different ones (lancome/clinique/sephora - i do not recommend the sephora one it burnt!!) but found that the Maybelline is just as good and not as sensitizing!

    I feel like I need to write a blog post now...since I've been neglecting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across your blog, and I think the content of your posts are just great. Thank you for taking the time out to share some of your wisdom with us, from one makeup artist to another. If you have a chance to check out my blog, I'd love to hear what you think. http://beautyandthabeats.com :)

    ReplyDelete