Monday, January 30, 2012

Makeup for Mature Skin

Photo Copyright of Blue Hair Salon

Mature skin is very different from young skin.  The skin is less elastic & looser, shows signs of lines & wrinkles and needs to be hydrated.  It also tends lose color and becomes very thin.  The makeup should always looks radiant and not dry.  It should bring out the natural glow of the skin, not hide it.  Caking on foundation doesn't look good on anyone especially mature skin.  In fact, makeup for mature skin should always be less heavy.  The more makeup, the more it tends to settle into fine lines and wrinkles making your canvas look older.

So, what type of products should you use?

Skincare
I've hardly encountered a woman over 45 who already didn't have her own personal skin care products that she swears by and has used for years.  Most of the time I end up using what they use in the attempt to make my client feel at ease and comfortable.  But I have met some women who've spent 50 years of their life with nothing but chapstick in their purse and absolutely no clue as to which products they should try.  In those cases I carry:

Moisturizer
Both of these products pack a punch so a little goes a long way.  We don't want overly hydrated skin either or the makeup will move around and not stay on.
     * Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentrè (24-Hour Miracle Cream)
     * Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Creme

Toner

I only tone mature skin if absolutely necessary.  If I do, I always use a hydrating toner, never an alcohol based.  Remember, we're trying to hydrate the skin, not dry it out.
     * Kiehl's Ultra Facial Toner

Foundations
I am a firm believer that foundation should be used to even out skin tone instead of being caked on to cover imperfections.  This is why we have concealer.  Depending on the thickness/thinness of the foundation, it should be used sparingly.  I love to apply it with the beauty blender.
     * MUFE Liquid Lift Foundation
     * Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation
     * FACEatelier Ultra Foundation
     * Elizabeth Arden Intervene (Never used it myself but know many senior artists that LOVE this foundation for mature skin)

Concealer
I hardly use correctors but when I do it's either to cover tattoo's, bruises, broken capillaries or very dark under eye circles.  Green to cover reds and orange to cover browns and blues.  The concealer/corrector you use is really up to you.  I don't carry any special ones for mature skin.  I just use what I feel is best depending on how much coverage is needed.

Extras
Eyeshadows
I stay away from anything too shimmery or frosty and lean towards pearlescent and matte.  No one wants to see a mature woman with shimmery eyeshadows.

Lipsticks
I lean towards colors such as burgundy, amethyst, coral and dusty rose.  No baby pink lips please.

Eye Creams
I'm not a huge eye cream user.  If under eyes are a bit dry I just mix some of my moisturizer into the concealer.  If the client has their own eye cream that they like to use, I just use that.

Powders
I generally don't powder mature skin and if I do, I do it on the T-Zone only using a translucent powder.  Which brings me to cheek color.  I don't use powder blushes either.  Cream or gel blushes are key and should not have a powdery finish.  The only powder I've used that I feel works best for mature skin is the Laura Mercier Invisible Loose Setting Powder.  I've even dusted very, very little to the under eye area.


4 comments:

  1. Thank you. Lots of good tips on mature skin makeup, the type you can only know from experience :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, yes mature skin requires a little more thought when it comes to purchasing products, particularly foundations.
    http://followmarla.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete